5 Ways to Keep Your Mount Looking Great
One of the most frequently asked question we get at the Studio is about mount display and placement. You certainly want to make sure that the mounts are in good locations. We want them to be too. We want your trophies to be enjoyed and healthy for a very long time.
You know how the old saying goes about an ounce of prevention. It’s the same in the taxidermy world. The greatest danger to your mounts is a buildup of dust and dirt from everyday life. Here are five ways to help keep those threats at bay.
- Keep it away from smoke. Don’t hang it over or near a wood burning stove. Be aware that cigarette and cigar smoke will affect your mounts as well.
- Keep touching to a minimal. It doesn’t mean you can’t ever touch it. The amount of oil transfer from your hands to the fur is minuscule. The greater danger comes from disturbing it’s natural hair patterns by over “petting”.
- Keep out of sunlight. The same UV rays that give you a nice tan can wreak havoc on your trophies. Ultra Violet rays will turn white animals yellow and will bleach out the darker ones. Keep them away from windows and sunrooms. If constant shade is not an option, be sure to use a good quality UV blocking film on your windows.
- Keep extremes in check. Extremes in temperature and humidity are a certain source of trouble for your trophies. Think attics and basements—smothering hot in the summer and frigid cold in the winter. Give them a break and find a place of happy medium.
- Keep a regular cleaning regiment. It doesn’t take much. A quick but regular go over with a feather duster does wonders. Avoid heavy cleaners. When needed, wipe down with a soft, damp cloth. Eyes are looking hazy? Take some glass cleaner on a cotton swab and carefully wipe them down to restore their shine.
Simply put, pay attention to the trophies surroundings. By controlling the overall environment, your trophies will be kept safe, healthy, and happy for a very long time. To find out more about trophy cleaning, check out this article for all the details you may need.